For my birthday this year I wanted to try something different and surprise my colleagues. It was THE sensation in the office today due to the bright blue color. It looks kind of poisonous, but actually it is healthier than most of the cakes. Basically, it tastes like the famous cocktail Pina Colada.
The ingredients you need…
For the dough:
- 70 gram (a 2/3 cup) coconut sugar
- A pinch of salt
- 2 eggs
- 80 gram (a 3/8 cup) butter
- 30 gram (a ¼ cup) coconut rasp
- 55 gram (a ¼ cup) vegetable oil
- 200 gram (1 + 3/4 cups) coconut flour
For the white layer:
- 150 ml (a 3/5 cup) coconut milk
- 250 ml (1 + 1/8 cups) pineapple juice
- 150 ml (a 1/8 cup) white rum
- 250 (1 + 1/8 cups) gram plain yoghurt with 1,5 % fett
- 3 bags gelatin fix a 15 gram (a 1/8 cup)
- 75 gram (a 2/3 cup) icing sugar
For the blue Curaçao layer:
- 200 ml (a 7/8 cup) blue Curaçao liquor
- 2 bags gelatin fix a 15 gram (a 1/8 cup = 1/2 oz)
How to make it:
Don’t be scared of this long description! It is very simple. I just explained every single detail.
- Pre-heat the oven to 175° C (or 350° F) or 155° C recirculating air (or 311° F)
- Prepare the butter: It should be room temperature. Put it into the microwave for a few seconds to speed up the process.
- For the dough cream together the coconut sugar, the pinch of salt and the room temperatured butter with the kneading hooks.
- Add the eggs and after that the vegetable oil.
- To finish the dough add the flour and the coconut rasp slowly bit by bit. If the dough is too dry add a little bit more oil or butter. Please notice that the coconut flour won’t create sticky dough. It might be a little bit crumbly, but that’s ok. Usually, it is not that clever to make a cake just out of coconut flour, but don’t worry. In this case it will work out! I promise. (Though, if you are not happy at all with the result next time reduce the amount of coconut flour and fill it up with normal flour.)
- Grease the whole cake pan.
- This time you can skip rolling out the dough. It won’t work because – like I said before – the coconut flour is too crumbly. So instead, take the whole dough and press it into the cake pan. Create an even surface on the bottom and the sides.
- Stab the bottom with a fork multiple times.
- Put baking parchment on top and fill up the pan with pulses. Then, put it into the heated oven and blind bake the crust for 15 minutes.
- After 15 minutes take it out of the oven, remove the baking parchment with the pulses and keep baking the dough for further 5 minutes.
- Let it chill on a cake rack or put it in winter on your balcony 😉
- For the white filling stir the rum, the coconut milk (better take the white creamy part), the pineapple juice, and the plain yoghurt. After that add 3 bags of gelatin and stir again.
- Top up the cake bottom with the filling and let it chill for 2-3 hours. When it gelled start with the last layer. Mix the blue Curaçao liquor with 2 bags of gelatin and stir. Add it on top of the white filling and let it chill for further 3 hours.
…. aaaand now surprise everyone with this super tasty, deep blue colored culinary delight!!! 🙂
Follow Us On
Did you like this blog entry? I hope you enjoyed this post, check in next week for more tips or have a look at my other posts. Pease feel free to share them and to leave a comment. You can subscribe to my website or follow me on Instagram or Facebook. On Instagram you also will find simple snapshots of my daily life taken with my cellphone besides professional photography and fashion themes.
See you soon, XOXO